Saturday, April 11, 2009

Middle class Mc Donalds


Today I bought cheap, synthetic, made in China clothes from an outlet store which was going out of business. Two shirts, a pair of pants and a pair of shoes for cycling to work, all for $65. Who knows how many hands the clothes have passed through before they made it to the laundry basket? The irony of the situation was not lost on me, though I'm sure it's a bitter irony for the factory workers in the factory in China where the clothes came from, if they've not been sent back to the country that is. At least they'll be with family now.

I went to a local furniture store selling hand-made dining suites. It's Easter and he's keeping the store open for as many hours as he can. Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I wonder how much longer he'll be there for?

I remember when Georgie Pie in Kelston was bought out, in its place the ubiquitous, backlit golden arches now stand. Then it was Subway which meant that your town was on the map. But I don't eat fast food anymore because of what it is and what it represents. Because they're selling more than just food and you can't kid yourself that food is all your getting.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to Ikea to finish furnishing our new flat.
Would you like to upsize to the three seater sir, or how about some cushions with your flat-packed shelves?

No comments: