Saturday, March 7, 2009

So Melbourne eh?

Much to my delight and tainted only by the no doubt disappointed locals, the much needed rain which greeted me upon arrival and dampened the fires which have now burnt for a month, has given way to the glorious sun which I was so expecting and a pleasant breeze keeping the flags fluttering outside the train station. My first few days of my new home town has largely been administrative. Flat finding, bank accounts, tax numbers.... Though in a new town even the wandering of streets in new suburbs visiting the office by train and tram and sitting outside next to Flinder's St Station enjoying a new beer has a charm and air of adventure afforded only to the newly arrived.

The town planner in me thinks that Melbourne is what Auckland could be when it grows up. Though fitting another 3 million people in Auckland to reach what some may consider a minimum for 'vibrancy', seems somewhat of a tall order.

So, other than the absence of a certain someone, perhaps an initial overoptimism regarding the ease of finding a humble abode and the current economic climate (as unapparent at street level as it is) to say my arrival has been a positive experience would rate in my top 10 understatements.

Cheers to Melbourne.

No comments: