Friday, October 5, 2007

Suzdal (Russia)

So I've got a little time to kill before I have to make my way back to the bus to Vladimir to meet my train to Moscow. So far Russia has really been an experience (a good experience). In spite of the frustrations in trying to make an international phone call using Soviet telephone technology etc. the rich culture, warm people, amazing architecture and really good vodka have more than compensated. The only place I guess I've had time to really do a bit of reflection and really enjoy a rest has been Lake Baikal, and what a place to have a break from the persistent traveling I've been doing so far. Smoked fish, good company, amazing and amazing scenery put this place right up there with the great wall. I even went for a swim in the lake which contains 1/5th of the worlds liquid fresh water resource - now that's one.. excuse me but there is no other way to say is with quite the same emphasis... B.F.O. lake!!!! The clarity was crazy I heard stories of divers getting vertigo because of the visibility. The remains of the Soviet era are everywhere, so much so that one could be easily mistaken for thinking that it never ended. Municipal steam pipes, run down roads, massive run down public buildings.

The churches have clearly suffered from the Soviet era where those that were looked after were mainly museums. It's like there is a massive national restoration fort to save these places before they fall down with neglect. This has meant that I've been either really fortunate to see some fantastic buildings recently restored, fortunate to see some relics which are nothing much more than shells in the shape of roman orthodox churches, or unfortunate to not be able to access them because of restoration. Either way I'm glad I mad a stop in the "golden circle" before heading on to the big city.

No comments: