Thursday, September 13, 2007

Beijing (China)

It's been a while since I've had a chance to do a bit of an update and without the spell check of Microsoft word or Firefox I'm sure there will be many a mistake.

Quite surprised that I can actually edit my blog, the last time I tried to access it from China it was blocked. Not just because of me of course. Though that would be a nice little claim to fame. But the government in China put a stop on blogs and the like for various reasons which I'm sure they managed to justify in their own minds.

Since last I wrote I've been to Japan, spending time in Hokaido, Tokyo and close to Nagoya staying with family.

The contrast between the order, the refinement and the perhaps almost sterility of Japan could not be contrasted more then by Beijing. Big!! everything is huge. I guess that's what happens when you're the capital of the most populous nation in the world in pursuit of $$$$ down the standard "development model" at what point will a place actually consume itself. Perhaps some places already are. The value on human life would certainly indicate that there are a few places very close to self-consumption.

The photos pretty much tell the story. Japan was really beautiful and there have been many wonderful things about China too. The great wall was completely beyond the imagination, what was perhaps more amazing that by going to a section less visited and when the weather was less than perfect (not intentionally re the weather) we were for a short time the only people we could see. Far from what was anticipated. Perhaps that will be the strongest impression so far.

No comments: